Scentwork UK – On-Line Trials (Home Alone)
You will need either a mobile phone, ipad or lap top in order to enter the ‘On-Line’ trials.
You also need to be familiar with any of the following platforms:
Messenger, What’s App or Zoom
All the searches are seen and judged ‘live’ by the Judge/TM.
It is the competitor’s responsibility to read the competitor rules and ‘Instructions for hiding the scent’
so that you are familiar with everything and you don’t keep the judge waiting.
How to enter an ‘On-Line’ trial.
1) ‘Click here’ to see if there is a trial that is running the Level you require and if there are spaces available.
2) Ask for a ‘time slot’, book and pay the ‘Judge/‘Trials Manager’.
3) Let the trials manager know if, owing to space restrictions, you want to share a ‘Time slot’ with another
competitor so that you can disconnect whilst you set up your other searches.
Before the Trial
1) Check that you have a ‘connection’ with the judge/trials manager. (Remember if you want to use messenger, you need to send the judge/trials manager a ‘friends’ request.
2) Set up all 4 searches and decide a ‘starting point’ from where you will enter each search with your dog.
3) Set up markers 5ft (1.5m) away from the first item in each search.
4) Place ‘post it’ notes next to holes and gaps in a wall or fence if you are planning to do either of these searches.
5) Decide where to position the camera for each search. Note: Pull table & chairs in the middle of the room if necessary.
6) The judges will video call you at your booked time slot; please don’t make the judge wait for you.
7) Let the judge know which search you want to start first.
8) Let the judge know if you have a small or elderly dog as this will affect the position of the hides.
9) Send the dog out of the search area before you make a video connection with the judge. Make sure that the dog isn’t able
to jump up onto windows or look out through glass doors whilst you are hiding the scent as some dogs are very good at cheating!
10) Hide the scent where the judge has instructed and the judge may also ask you to pretend to hide a scented article
in another couple of places in case your dog is peeking!
11) Enter the search site with the dog on a leash and wait behind the starting point.
12) After receiving instruction by the judge to start, remove the leash and the start the search remaining behind the markers.
During the Search
1) The dog must remain at the source for 3 seconds to qualify.
2) The judge will tell you at the time if you have passed or not and may or may not give you your marks at the time.
3) Move onto the next search area and so on.
4) You will be notified of the final results on the ‘Scentwork UK’ facebook group later that day.
Please note: It is at the Judge’s discretion whether they wish to enter discussions directly online (Facebook group) or reply via email as to your marks and the results.
After the Trial
1) Contact the regional rosette supplier (details to be found on the website) for your rosette which will be posted to you once payment has been sent to the regional rosette supplier. The cost of the rosette will be £3.50
2) Check your results on the results page league to track your progress.
3) You can enter up to 10 trials in a league after which you will need to move up to the next level.
4) The top four in the league will be invited to complete at a prestigious event.