1st Jennie Dean – Reo :- 129.75
2nd Heather Poulton – Timmy :- 129.5
3rd Chris Clements – BaileyBoo :- 129.5
4th Karen Smith – Reggie :- 129.25
5th Jamie Read – Bear :- 128.75
6th Liz Ormerod – Archie :- 119.75
7th Marianne Tembey – Mister Kai :- 119.75
8th Nikki Inglis – Elli :- 119.5
9th Deb Townsend-Wood – Belle :- 119
10th Sue Abbott-Dixon -Halle :- 108.5
11th Jennie Fairweather – Mischief :- 98.25
Level 2, 3, 4 & 5. Bournheath 27/28 October
We saw the first of winter this weekend which came as a bit of a shock to the system. Nigel Wilkes and Tina Schuster were kind enough to judge for me on Saturday for L2 and L3. Tina spent the whole day outside during which time we had a horizontal snow shower and freezing conditions. Although it was extremely cold all the competitors stayed positive and smiley.
The morning saw some great team work in Level 2 which I’ll let the judges give their view on. The afternoon was less successful for the Level 3 folk some of whom found the step up from L2 quite challenging. Kym & Max came 1st in L2 and who also achieved their Excellent Award. Kate & Kiwi were the winners in L3. Many congratulations to both teams.
Many thanks to Nigel and Tina for judging. They gave invaluable feedback to the handlers who really appreciated it. I’d also like to thank my Saturday team – Helen Reaney, Heather Poulton, Zoe Ashman and Michelle Rodgers who all scribed very efficiently and Alison Deakin who did a wonderful job of ensuring all the handlers and dogs were where they should be.
Sunday brought better weather thankfully with less of a biting cold wind. Heather Donnelly and Marianne Tembey kindly co-judged Level 4 in the morning and Heather judged Level 5 in the afternoon. Unfortunately the distractions got the better of a few of the L4 dogs who indicated on them. The Level 5s had greater success with 100% qualifying which doesn’t happen very often. However, I’ll let the judges describe the performance of the dog teams but I’d like to congratulate Chris & Queeva-Diva who took the red rosette for L4 and Jennie & Reo who won Level 5. Well done folks.
Many thanks to Heather and Marianne for judging and for giving great feedback to all the competitors, also to my team of Sunday scribes – Jackie Hodge, Michelle Rodgers and Dolores Palmer and to Lisa Finney who was runner and Zoe who made some great cups of tea.
Thank you all for coming this weekend. Congratulations to all of you who qualified. The standard was high overall and I hope you enjoyed the Trial even if you weren’t as successful as you’d like to have been. Remember we can’t appreciate our achievements unless we’re unsuccessful occasionally. Hopefully, you’ll have gained experience from competing and it’s always good to catch up with fellow competitors who you don’t see very often.
I really enjoyed hosting this weekend of 4 levels. I hope to see many of you again the next time. 😊
It was a fine but cold day when I went along to Bourneheath village Hall to judge the L4 &5 trial which was run by Karen Denton in her usual relaxed and organised manner.
Myself and co-judge Marianne judged the L4 which consisted of 10 entries. I judged the indoor searches whilst Marianne braved it outside. L4 is tough and has the reputation of once qualifying to move on quickly into L5. I hid toothpaste and dog odour distractions and it was the dog odour that a lot of the dogs wrongly alerted on resulting in the loss of 4 teams. However we had six qualifiers and the place getters were:
1) Chris Clements & Queeva – Very good handling of this 13yr old rather excitable collie Chris. Just a slight blip with the small kidney shaped handbag but otherwise the team work has improved enormously. Well done.
2) Jeni Pirie & Sully – A rather excitable Sully meant that Jeni had to pull out all the stops today but Jeni’s training experienced showed enabling her to steer Sully through to a very well deserved 2nd place.
3) Helen Bryne & Nellie – Nellie decided to go for both the decoys in the first search so Helen had to pull out all the stops in the next three searches. Well done Helen for remaining so positive and cheerful even when the odds were stacked against you.
4) Annette Leslie & Disney. This team has come on tremendously as Disney was inclined to do ‘Heelwork to Music’ moves on some of the items in the past. Annette gave us a heart stopping moment when she left it to the very last second in which to call the small pink bag which she needed to qualify, so well done Annette for keeping your cool.
Also COM were Anne & Ozzie a Springer Spaniel and Shelia & Zak a Boxer.
So after a quick lunch break the L5 started and I hid 4 scented articles in 2 small rooms. Everyone gave this a pretty good go with most getting all 4 finds within time. The exterior Search proved quite difficult as there was a lot of fencing around a play area to search but if competitors understood how to use the wind it would have made their job a lot easier and saved a lot of time. Also a lot of the dogs were sniffing the ground and the handlers that managed to keep their dog’s head up fared better than those that didn’t. The last search was straight forward which involved just the main hall with items scattered around and a table abandoned in the middle. Again quite a few teams managed to recover all 5. So at the end of the day everyone qualified which is very unusual for this level but all were very worthy qualifiers. Well done everyone.
1) Jennie Dean & Reo – I just loved Jennie’s sympathetic handling of this lovely dog. Reo had a slight wobbly moment just before the last search and Jennie was quite prepared to withdraw him if necessary, such is the sportsmanship of Jennie always putting the wellbeing of her dog first. Reo certainly excelled himself today and worked all 3 searches competently.
2) Heather & Timmy – Fantastic handling from this team. Heather not only knows how to handle this challenging breed but really knows how a judge thinks! I predict this team will go far.
3) Chris Clements & Bailey First time in L5 for this team so they did really well for coming 3rd. Just needs to tidy up a little more in some parts otherwise a very competent performance.
4) Karen Smith & Reggie – A super keen Labrador who didn’t want to tell mum Karen where some of the scents were hidden, however it appeared that Karen knew this and insisted that Reggie went back and told her. Well handled and spotted.
Also a special mention to Liz and Archie the Poodle. If you wish to see sympathetic and calm handling this team is the one to watch.
So again thank you to Karen Denton for organising today’s trial especially as you were hard at it all weekend. Also my thanks to Michelle for scribing for me in the morning and Dolores in the afternoon, both being such good company too. Also to the helpers Lisa Finney, Jackie Hodges & Nicki Hetfield- Rogerson.
|A/F = Alert Find||H = Handling||T = Time (seconds)|
|Tables & Chairs||Exterior Search||Vehicle Search||Boxes & Luggage||Totals|
|1||Chris Clements – Queeva Diva||20||5||145||20||5||87||20||5||90||10||5||24||90||346|
|2||Jeni Pirie – Sullivan||10||5||68||20||4||135||20||4.85||138||20||5||95||88.85||436|
|3||Helen Byrne – Nellie||0||5||73||20||5||47||20||4||212||20||5||52||79||384|
|4||Annette Leslie – Disney||10||4.75||116||20||4.75||96||10||4||244||20||4.75||299||78.25||755|
|5||Anne Robinson – Ozzie||20||4.25||113||10||4.9||68||20||4.2||111||10||4||102||77.35||394|
|6||Sheila Kirby – Zak||20||4.25||237||10||4||250||20||4||266||10||4.5||230||76.75||983|
||Scentwork UK||WA = Wrong Alerts (4 = elimination)||P = Points (articles found X 10)|
|L5 Scoresheet||B = Bonus (10 if all items found)||D = Deductions||T = time (seconds)|
|Interior Search 1||Interior Search 2||Exterior Search||Totals|
|No of items||4||Time allowed||4||No of items||5||Time allowed||5||No of items||3||Time allowed||3||P+B-D = Points + Bonus – Deductions|
|Handler & Dog||WA||P||B||D||T||WA||P||B||D||T||WA||P||B||D||T||WA||P||B||D||P+B-D||Time|
|1||Jennie Dean – Reo||0||40||10||0||93||0||50||10||0||186||0||20||0||0.25||180||0||110||20||0.25||129.75||459|
|2||Heather Poulton – Timmy||0||40||10||0||112||0||50||10||0.5||295||0||20||0||0||180||0||110||20||0.5||129.50||587|
|3||Chris Clements – BaileyBoo||0||40||10||0.25||239||1||40||0||0.25||300||0||30||10||0||175||1||110||20||0.5||129.50||714|
|4||Karen Smith – Reggie||0||30||0||0.5||240||1||50||10||0||161||0||30||10||0.25||159||1||110||20||0.75||129.25||560|
|5||Jamie Read – Bear||0||40||10||0.25||127||0||50||10||0.5||257||0||20||0||0.5||180||0||110||20||1.25||128.75||564|
|6||Liz Ormerod – Archie||0||40||10||0||143||0||50||10||0||138||0||10||0||0.25||180||0||100||20||0.25||119.75||461|
|7||Marianne Tembey – Mister Kai||0||40||10||0||135||2||50||10||0||228||0||10||0||0.25||180||2||100||20||0.25||119.75||543|
|8||Nikki Inglis – Elli||0||40||10||0.25||237||0||50||10||0.25||135||0||10||0||0||180||0||100||20||0.5||119.50||552|
|9||Deb Townsend-Wood – Belle||0||40||10||0.25||194||0||50||10||0.25||145||1||10||0||0.5||180||1||100||20||1||119.00||519|
|10||Sue Abbott-Dixon -Halle||0||40||10||0.5||226||0||40||0||0.5||300||0||20||0||0.5||180||0||100||10||1.5||108.50||706|
|11||Jennie Fairweather – Mischief||0||40||10||0.25||233||1||40||0||0.75||300||0||10||0||0.75||180||1||90||10||1.75||98.25||713|